Boosting website traffic: Basic steps
Boosting your website traffic seems to be a simple enough statement, and if approached with the right mindset, tools and resources that simple statement can become a reality in less time than you think. But – and this is an important but – if your approach to boosting website traffic is lacking in any important areas, the simple statement will remain just that…a simple statement and nothing more because the traffic boost will be very long in coming, if at all. To begin, let’s take a look at some of those traffic sources.
Directories help locate websites within specific or definitive categories. The difference between search engines and directories is that, directories feature only vetted websites – sites that have a certain standard and contain information of substance – and search engines cover just about all types of existing Web traffic.
One aim when using directories is simply to boost traffic. To achieve this, you must choose to have your website featured in large, organized directories like Yahoo, DMOZ, and LookSmart. These will drive highly targeted traffic to your site (subject specific), increase significantly your website’s link popularity, and your website’s Google PageRank.
To maximize your website exposure
- Find a category that is most relevant to your website. The category and subcategories must totally fit the subject of your site and its purpose. For example, if your website is a health related business the site must be featured under health and not business. Only then, will surfers seeking health related websites access yours. Do a keyword search that is relevant to your website on the directory. The directory will present categories relevant to those keywords. Choose one which is suited in all aspects.
- Create a title and description that will boost traffic not reduce it. The title must be “dead on.” It should include the most important key word and if possible start with a letter towards the beginning of the alphabet. Plus, the 15-25 word description should succinctly summarize the purpose and/or functions of your website. While being descriptive and informative, try and weave in as many keywords pertaining to your website’s subject as possible.
Prioritize your to-do traffic list
- Purchase keywords from one of the pay-per-click search engines or directories
- Make your website search engine-friendly.
- Pay attention to text and image content. Heavy images reduce search engine visibility.
- Use backlinks on appropriate directories and trade or business listings.
- Check out the backlinks used by competitors.
- Add new content regularly. This encourages visitors and search engine spiders to return. Make sure the content is keyword rich.
- Start and maintain a web log or blog. This can become an active way to boost traffic while simultaneously disseminating information.
- Market your website by printing its address on business cards, paper bags, packaging and so on. Distribute an e-zine or updates as newsletters regularly to customers and business associates.
- Consider paying search engines for improved listings and fast appraisal of your site.
- Direct content towards search engines by utilizing cloaking technology.
- Run advertisements on related websites and mailing lists.
- Adopt a reciprocal link program.
Monitor, analyze, and be unique
There are simple steps to accomplishment: be different, make sure your website is refreshing and delivers what it promises; create a network of supporters; be honest in your business ventures; deliver on time at affordable prices; always be a diligent student, constantly innovate your website to keep stride with changing times and technology; carve out an exclusive niche and diversify in directions that are relevant to your business model.
Create a daunting presence!